Servings: 6-8 servings
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 25 min
What does Paula Deen, potatoes, soup and shrimp have in common?
I love them all!
This recipe is originally Paula Deen’s Potato Soup with Shrimp that I have taken and added a few little treats of my own.
1/2 stick butter
1 small onion, diced
2 medium carrots, sliced
3 small parsnips, sliced
1 small turnip, diced about the same size as the onion
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
8 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
4 cups milk, whole, reduced fat (2 percent) or low fat (1 percent)
2 chicken bouillon cubes, dissolved in 1/2 cup hot milk
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
1 cup half-and-half
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 pound medium shrimp (I use the frozen pre-cooked shrimp)
Crumbled bacon bits, for garnish
Dill sprigs, optional garnish
1. In a 4-quart saucepan, melt the butter and saute the onion, carrots, parsnips and turnip until both are slightly tender, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
2. Add the potatoes, milk, and dissolved bouillon cubes. Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes, until the potatoes are very soft and some of them have begun to dissolve into mush.
3. Add the half-and-half, salt, pepper, and shredded cheese.
4. Peel the shrimp, and chop roughly into big chunks. Add the shrimp to the soup and stir well.
5. Serve soup sprinkled with bacon bits. Garnish with dill sprigs, if desired.
*Note: If you don’t have access to shrimp or are allergic, you can substitute with corn.